Pin It

Home » Delaware » Post Office New Deal Artwork

Post Office New Deal Artwork

Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.

“Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “the Section,” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people.” from “Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals” by Patricia Raynor

Unless indicated, works of art are located in the US Post Office building.

Location Artist Title Date Medium
Dover
(now in the Educational Building, Wesley Methodist Church, Lockermann Station)
William D. White “Harvest, Spring and Summer” 1937 mural – several panels – (funded by TRAP)
Harrington Eve Salisbury “Men Howing” 1941 wax tempera
New Castle J. Scott Williams “William Penn Welcomed at New Castle” 1938 oil on canvas
Rehoboth Beach Karl Knaths “Frontier Mail” 1940 oil on canvas
Selbyville William H. Calfee “Chicken Farm” 1942 oil and tempera
Wilmington
Post Office and Courthouse
Albert Pels “Landing of Swedes at The Rocks in Wilmington” 1938 tempera
Wilmington
Post Office and Courthouse
Herman Zimmerman “Chemistry and Industry” and “Chemistry and Agriculture” 1938 oil on canvas

All mural images depicted on this site are used with permission of the United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.