East Hartford, CT New Deal Art
Most of the post office works of art were funded under the Treasury Department’s Section commissions. Those works that were created using TRAP funds are so indicated. Although the WPA funded the construction of post office buildings, the artwork was not WPA but was usually produced under the Section or TRAP programs. Unless indicated, works of art are located in the US Post Office building.
New Deal/WPA Art in East Hartford, Connecticut
East Hartford, CT Branch Post Office – tempera mural
“The Stop of Hooker’s Band in East Hartford before Crossing the River” by Alton Tobey (1940)
Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal
by Marlene Park & Gerald E. Markowitz
Photograph taken by John Flint. Thanks to Jimmy Emerson who contributed the photograph.