Pin It

Home » New York » Queens New York WPA Art

Queens New York WPA Art

Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.

“Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “the Section,” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people.” from “Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals” by Patricia Raynor

New Deal/WPA Art in Forest Hills, Queens, New York City

Forest Hills Station Post Office
New York City, Queens
“Spirit of Communication” – terra-cotta relief
by Sten Jacobson (1938)

Photograph contributed by Hans Nohldén