Pin It

Home » WPA » New Deal/WPA Art in Idaho

New Deal/WPA Art in Idaho

Boise, ID - Ada County Courthouse - information and news article about the Fletcher Martin et al. murals in the Ada County Courthouse

Post Office New Deal Artwork - Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.

Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “the Section,” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people.

Unless indicated, works of art are located in the US Post Office building.

 

Location  Artist  Title  Date  Medium 
Blackfoot  Andrew Standing Soldier  “The Arrival Celebration” and “The Round-Up”  1939  tempera (on four walls) 
Buhl  Richard Guy Walton  “Snake River Ferry”  1941  oil on canvas 
Burley  Elizabeth Lochrie  “Pioneers on the Oregon Trail along the Snake River”  1938  oil on canvas 
Kellogg  Fletcher Martin  “Discovery”  1941  oil on canvas 
Preston  Edmond J. Fitzgerald  “The Battle of Bear River”  1941  oil on canvas 
Saint Anthony  Elizabeth Lochrie  “The Fur Traders”  1939  oil on canvas 

 

All mural images depicted on this site are used with permissionof the United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.