Pin It

Home » Georgia » Jesup, GA New Deal Art

Jesup, GA New Deal Art

Most of the post office works of art were funded under the Treasury Department’s Section commissions. Those works that were created using TRAP funds are so indicated. Although the WPA funded the construction of post office buildings, the artwork was not WPA but was usually produced under the Section or TRAP programs.

New Deal/WPA Art in Jesup, Georgia

Jesup, GA Post Office
(now in the Wayne County Library, Jesup, GA)
“General Oglethorpe Concludes a Treaty of Amity and Peace
with the Creek Indians – May 18, 1733″
by David Hutchison (1938)

Photograph taken by David P. Smith.

The Jesup mural was removed in strips from the Post Office wall in the 1960′s and stored. The strips were discovered in the 1970′s and the mural restored and temporarily placed in the Wayne County High School until moved to its present site in the 1980′s.
Information provided by Librarian Edna Williamson.

Source:
Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal
by Marlene Park & Gerald E. Markowitz

Thanks to Jimmy Emerson who contributed the photograph.