Pin It

Home » North Carolina » Mooresville, NC Post Office Art

Mooresville, NC Post Office Art

New Deal/WPA Art in Mooresville, North Carolina – Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.

Mooresville, NC Post Office
(now used as City School offices)
“North Carolina Cotton Industry” – oil on canvas
by Alicia Weincek (1938)

Thanks to Cindy Jacobs who contributed the above photograph.

Mooresville Public Library and the WPA

In 1936, the Maids and Matrons Club of Mooresville (NC) became sponsor for the Mooresville Public Library, in order to comply with the Works Progress Administration’s regulations. The Club appointed a committee of three members to serve as a Library Board. The Board secured quarters in downtown Mooresville, above the Moor Theater, built new shelves and reopened the Library to the public. Rent for the new quarters was $7 per month, and the Works Progress Administration paid the Librarian’s salary of $50. By the end of 1936, more than 500 books were mended and put in excellent condition by a WPA Mending Project. Child-size tables and chairs were secured to the children’s reading programs. In March, the WPA arranged for a full time janitress to work at the Library.

Source of the above information: Maude (Mrs. D. W.) Creswell Report to the Maids and Matrons Club of Mooresville Funding for the Librarian ended in 1938. At that time, LuTelle Sherrill Williams built a new Library building for the community on land owned by her family.