Pin It

Home » Michigan » Munising, MI Art

Munising, MI Art

This Post Office mural was funded by the Section of Fine Arts under the Treasury Department and not the WPA.

New Deal/WPA Art in Munising, Michigan

plaster relief by Hugo Robus –
“Harbour of Munising-Chippewa Legend” (1939)
installed on January 1, 1939.

Photographs © 2003 Paul E. Petosky

Images courtesy of the USPS

The Post Office building dedication took place on January 3, 1938. The cornerstone was laid in 1937. The Munising, MI #3 permanent Post Office was established on January 4, 1896 with Arthur S. Nester as its first postmaster and is still in operation with zip code 49862.

These photographs of the Munising, MI 49862 Post Office plaster relief were taken by Paul E. Petosky, “Postmarks from the Past” November 16, 2003. Postmarks From the Past is dedicated to writing about and preserving Michigan postal history, in particular those post offices which have closed.