Pin It

Home » North Dakota » North Dakota New Deal Artwork

North Dakota New Deal Artwork

Post Office Artwork in North Dakota- Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.

“Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “the Section,” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people.” from “Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals” by Patricia Raynor

Unless indicated, works of art are located in the US Post Office building.

Location Artist Title Date Medium
Langdon Leo J. Beaulaurier “Indians Demanding Wagon Toll” 1939 oil on canvas
Lisbon (relocated to St. Augustena College) James L. Hansen “Family Group” 1944 terra-cotta
(missing)
New Rockford Edward Buk Ulreich “Advance Guard of the West” 1940 oil on canvas
Rugby Kenneth Callahan “Rugby, the Geographical Center of North America” 1943 oil on canvas

 

All mural images depicted on this site are used with permission of the United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.