New Deal WPA Art in West Virginia
Post Office Artwork in West Virginia - Most of the Post Office works of art were funded through commissions under the Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture (later known as The Section of Fine Arts) and not the WPA.
“Often mistaken for WPA art, post office murals were actually executed by artists working for the Section of Fine Arts. Commonly known as “the Section,” it was established in 1934 and administered by the Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. Headed by Edward Bruce, a former lawyer, businessman, and artist, the Section’s main function was to select art of high quality to decorate public buildings if the funding was available. By providing decoration in public buildings, the art was made accessible to all people.” from “Articles from EnRoute : Off The Wall: New Deal Post Office Murals” by Patricia Raynor
Unless indicated, works of art are located in the US Post Office building.
|Stevan Dohanos||“Forest Service” and “Mining Village”||1939||tempera|
|Fayetteville||Nixford Baldwin||“The Miners”||1939||oil on canvas|
|Holidays Cove||Charles Chapman||“Captain Bilderbook’s and John Schoolcraft’s Expedition from Holiday’s Cove to Fort Wheeling, 1777″||1940||mural|
|Lewisburg||Robert F. Gates||“Old Time Camp Meeting”||1940||egg tempera on canvas|
|Logan||Gleb Derujinsky||“The Letter”||1940||sculpture|
|Mannington||Richard Zoellner||“Landscape at Frogtown”||1942||oil on canvas|
|Marlinton||Edwin Dorsey Doniphan||“Mill Point” and “Past Visions the Future”||1939||oil on canvas|
|Mount Hope||Michael Lensen||“Mining”||1942||oil on canvas|
|Oak Hill||Henri Crenier||“The Colonel Mail Rider”||1938||oil on canvas|
|Ripley||Joseph Servas||“The Pride of Jackson County”||1942||wood|
|Saint Albans||Reuben R. Kramer||“Science and Industry”||1941||wood|
|Saint Marys||Alexander B. Clayton||“St. Mary’s and the Industries of the Region”||1939||oil on canvas|
|Salem||Berni Glasgow||“Visions of the Development of Salem”||1942||oil on canvas|
|Spencer||Vicken von Post Totten||“Pastoral of Spencer”||1938||plaster of Paris|
|Webster Springs||Lenore Thomas||“Springtime”||no date||glazed terra-cotta|
|Vincent Glinsky||“Pony Express and Rural Delivery”||1940||cast stone|
All mural images depicted on this site are used with permission of the United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.
Morgantown - There is a Robert Lewis Lepper murals installed in Room M-21 of White Hall ( the “Geology Building”) on the campus of West Virginia University. Across the front of the room is a mural of workers in industries in and around the Monongahela, Ohio, Allegheny rivers (coal mining, steel production, and brick making). The mural is dated 1941-42 by the artist Robert L. Lepper from Pittsburgh. information contributed by Bob Behling.